5 Reasons to Work with a Small, Local Freight Broker
Manufacturers and distributors often work with freight brokers.
In fact, according to Armstrong and Associates, 90% of Domestic Fortune 500 companies “rely on third-party logistics (3PL) providers for outsourced logistics and supply chain services.”
According to the report, 3PLs can increase supply chain efficiency, provide relevant technologies, and help control costs. And this is true across the board although large companies tend to outsource to freight brokers more than smaller companies. Dick Armstrong explains that “the larger the company, the more likely it will have at least one relationship with a 3PL.”
Smaller companies often explain that they don’t want to outsource their logistics because they’ve always handled shipping in-house. But the logistics industry is changing, and a 3PL can offer a lot of bang for your buck. And you don’t have to be a big company to understand and reap the benefits of working with a freight broker.
Freight brokers provide essential services.
- The COVID-19 Pandemic has upended the freight market, resulting in a shortage of trucks available to haul your freight.
- You need creative solutions like mini-bids or dynamic pricing to get a handle on your out-of-control freight budget.
- Sourcing carriers exposes you to excessive liabilities.
- You’re tired of calling trucks and tracking down late or damaged shipments.
Do You Need a Big 3PL?
The answer to this is no. In fact, there are some great reasons NOT to work with a big 3PL. Too often big brokers apply a one-size-fits-all approach to logistics. This means that you could end up paying for technology you don’t need and will never use. They also have a high rate of turnover because the folks booking the loads are using logistics as a stepping stone to a better gig. In addition, they’re simply not as quick on the take because they operate within a ponderous hierarchy.
This isn’t how it works at a small broker like AM Transport Services. We provide consistent, reliable truckload freight services according to YOUR requirements. We get to know you and your lanes so we can find the best carriers for your needs. We make necessary appointments, track 100% of all shipments, and notify you when your freight delivers. We pay carriers, invoice customers, and ensure full visibility into your supply chain.
5 Reasons to Work with a Small, Local Freight Broker like AMT
- Collaboration. Our team works together to take care of your business. We’re cross-trained in all aspects of the logistics industry, so we don’t miss a beat. Our no-fail mentality means you ALWAYS succeed.
- No Voicemail. We always answer the phone from our office in Illinois. We know that if you’re calling, you don’t have time to sit on hold punching numbers, trying to reach the right person.
- Capacity. We work with the best small carriers in the industry. We add value by putting smaller, service oriented fleets on dedicated lanes and routes for our customers. These small carriers have low driver turnover, so they have low customer turnover as well.
- Experience. We’ve been in the transportation business for 30 years. During that time, we’ve helped many different sized companies in a variety of industries. We’ve seen it all, and we leverage that expertise to your advantage. We’re in it for the long haul. Our average team member’s tenure is 7 years. We aren’t looking to make a quick buck; instead, we seek long-term relationships based on value.
- Technology. You can’t fix what you don’t know. That’s why we offer modern technology solutions for your modern business problems. We’ve been using a transportation management system for 25 years, so we have an unparalleled understanding of the capabilities necessary to ensure you have the data you need to make informed business decisions.
Here at AM Transport Services, we love helping customers just like you. If you’d like to know more about how we can help, schedule a call today.